These have become a regular rotation in our household because nothing is better than bacon wrapped roasted cabbage wedges covered in Parmesan.
What Does Roasted Cabbage Taste Like?
Let me tell you this, I’m a cabbage convert. I didn’t like it for the longest time but it’s only because I hadn’t had it prepared properly so I gave it a second chance. Since my wife is Ukrainian, cabbage is a staple in her diet and once she showed me how to make these, it was all over. These are now on regular rotation and a great addition to any keto or low carb diet.
These roasted cabbage wedges are, as mentioned, wrapped in bacon slices which seep the bacon greese into the cabbage adding an amazing flavor. Once they are cooked, we grate Parmesan cheese onto them and that’s honestly all you need. Eat them with a knife and fork and they are amazing.
How to Make these Bacon Wrapped Roasted Cabbage Wedges
They are super simple to prepare; to get started simply cut a full head of cabbage in half. Then quarter each half (or cut into whichever size of wedges you prefer.)
Then you’ll take some uncooked bacon and wrap the bacon around the wedge and pin that end. Do this with two pieces or so of bacon until they are fully covered. Cook in the oven (following the instructions below) and when you take them out, sprinkle with Parmesan and enjoy!
What is the Best Way to Cook Cabbage?
Cabbage can be prepared in a number of ways. I personally like to fry it in a skillet or eat it in wedges like these. A little bit of bacon grease is a great way to keep it from burning while adding a burst of flavor as well.
Mike’s Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Roasted Cabbage Wedges
- Use a toothpick to hold one end of the uncooked bacon in while you wrap the other end around the wedge. Then use a second toothpick to hold that one! This way the bacon doesn’t come unwrapped and cooks properly.
- Make sure to cut the half a head in quarters. Trying to cook a literal quarter of cabbage wrapped in bacon is going to take forever and be far too much for one person to eat.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese or a blend when cooked before serving.
- 1/2 small/medium cabbage quartered
- 8 slices thick cut smoky bacon
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp optional garlic power divided between the cabbage wedges
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the bacon with Parmesan cheese ( because it sticks to the bacon while it will fall off the cabbage!). Sprinkle with the garlic powder if desired.
- Wrap 2 strips of bacon around each cabbage wedge ( with the cheese sprinkled side IN towards the cabbage, not facing out) . Place on a large baking sheet, with space between each wedge.
- Bake in the oven until the cabbage is soft, from 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Use toothpicks to hold the bacon on when cooking.