Oh, it’s time to get back to my kitchen and make some great weekend breakfasts! Lets start with a simple Mushroom and Spinach Frittata packed with all your favourite things! Heck these are so easy its a great weekday breakfast too!
Oh Lord, is it time to catch up. I almost forget where everything is in my kitchen lately as I have been on the go these last few weeks. The one thing I don't skimp on is a great breakfast for the day, of course topped off with a hot coffee or two.
Frittata’s are the bomb. The healthy bomb. The awesome bomb. The best part of these tasty beauties is that you can whip it up, put it in the oven and THEN go get the kids up. It only takes about 15-20 minutes to cook (depending on the amount of eggs you put in it) and by that time we are all downstairs again, ready to eat together before the kids head off to school. For those of you who do not have cast iron, a well greased glass pie plate or square baking pan works just as good!
I also have a mushroom addiction, is that wrong? I seriously love to add those little fungi’s in everything. The little trick I have discovered for using them in egg dishes is that you nuke the little suckers first, to get out all the moisture before you put them in your eggs.
When you remove the moisture of the mushrooms before you bake them, this is how they turn out.
If you love frittatas as much as I do, you need to try this Mediterranean Vegetable Frittata for another great flavor choice packed with vegetables!
Happy Low Carbing!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your BREAKFAST RECIPES Boards and Remember to
Mushroom and Spinach Frittata
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Karami Urbanoski
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Mushrooms - Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Clove Fresh garlic - Minced
- 2 Cups Fresh spinach washed and dried
- 1/3 Cup Feta cubed small
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Egg Whites
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Place the mushrooms in a microwave safe bowl with a teaspoon of water and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, until they have shrunk and softened up. Drain the water and place to the side
- Fry the onions and garlic in a cast iron skillet (or an oven proof skillet of any kind) until translucent and soft.
- Add in the spinach and cook until wilted
- Whisk together the eggs and egg whites until combined then mix in the mushrooms. Pour over the onion mixture in the skillet.
- Crumble the cubes of feta over the top. (I like to leave some whole as well, I love feta!)
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes, until the eggs are completely cooked in the center of the skillet.
- Optional Instructions: Pour beaten eggs, cooked spinach, onions, garlic and mushrooms into a bowl. Mix and pour into a greased pie plate or square baking pan. Crumble feta over top. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the eggs are completely cooked in the center.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.