One of the easiest and most delicious ways to enjoy fried cabbage is to combine it with Kielbasa. This delicious combination is a classic in our household.
How to Make Fried Cabbage (with Crispy Kielbasa)
It’s easy to combine things in a pan and fry them but what often happens when you take something that contains a high concentration of water (like cabbage) and fry it together with sausage is the sausage doesn’t have a chance to crisp up properly. That’s not to say it won’t cook but I personally prefer mine with a bit of a browning to it and some crispy skin.
It’s an easy problem (if you can call it that) to overcome and here’s how you do it.
What You’ll Need for this Recipe
- Half a head of cabbage, chopped
- Kielbasa (approximately 1 coil, maybe 1/2 depending on preference)
- Skillet (non stick or spray with cooking spray before frying sausage)
- Salt & Pepper
Get your pan up to medium heat and spray it with cooking spray (if necessary). Chop up the sausage until it looks similar to what is pictured in these photos and fry on both sides until brown. Once it’s browned, remove the sausage from the pan and add the chopped cabbage with 2 tbsp of butter and fry until it reaches your desired consistency and is cooked. Then add the sausage and fry for an additional couple of minutes to heat up the sausage. Remove from heat, add salt and pepper and serve.
Can it get any easier? I don’t think so.
How Do You Pan Fry Cabbage?
Place a skillet on the stove at medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Let the butter melt and add the cabbage. Cook until lightly browned and tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
Mike’s Tips & Tricks for Fried Cabbage and Kielbasa
- When chopping up the cabbage, try to keep it in small pieces about the same size as the slices of Kielbasa. This allows it to cook more evenly.
- For the Kielbasa, I have found that the ones from Costco tend to have a better flavor so I use those.
- I fry everything in salted butter because I think it tastes better, it also means you don’t have to salt the food when it’s done.
- Use a skillet that is nonstick and be sure to stir frequently as you want the cabbage to cook but not burn or stick to the pan.
This simple and easy recipe is a quick and delicious lunch and dinner. Enjoy!
Happy low carbing,
Pin this to your Low Carb, Keto, Dinner & Lunch Boards on Pinterest and don’t forget to follow @TheKitchenMagpieLowCarb on Pinterest!
Ukrainian Style Fried Cabbage with Kielbasa
- 8 cups cabbage
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 coil Kielbasa ( half a coil if it's a really large one)
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- Fry Kielbasa first in your skillet until crispy on both sides. DON'T overcook it as it will dry out, just crisp it up quickly!
- Remove the Kielbasa from skillet and keep separate.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter to skillet on medium heat.
- Add chopped cabbage to skillet and fry in the butter until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add Kielbasa to skillet to heat it up a bit.
- Serve with salt and pepper (to taste).