Need a quick and easy dessert for your low carb / keto diet? Check out this quick and easy sugar free lemon curd recipe that you can store in the fridge to satiate those “sweets” cravings after dinner.
How do you make Sugar Free Lemon Curd?
This recipe is quite easy to make and does and excellent job of killing those cravings for something sweet after dinner. Substituting Swerve (or your sweetener of choice) for sugar is a quick and easy way to make this a low carb option for your diet.
What you’ll need for this recipe
- Lemon Juice
- Swerve (or your sweetener of choice)
- Salted Butter
- Egg Yolk
- Lemon Zest
Mike’s Tips for Making Sugar Free Lemon Curd
- Have patience when thickening the lemon curd. It will eventually happen, but sometimes it all depends on factors outside of your control. It usually takes a good 10 minutes for mine to thicken up.
- Of course you will see in the recipe that I used salted butter in this and as usual I’m going to stress how a little bit of salt foils the sweet and turns this into an extraordinary lemon curd. You need that little zip of salt, trust me! So unless you are on a sodium reduced diet, please use the salted butter!
- If you like some texture in your lemon curd, add in some lemon zest. Both ways are good, it always depends if I want to strain the curd or not when making it. You can add in a TBSP of lemon zest if you want! You can see in my photo that I have the lemon zest in my batch this time around. I wanted it really lemony!
How Long Will it Keep in the Fridge?
This recipe will last 1-2 weeks in the fridge but usually is gone much faster! Note that Swerve tends to crystallize on the top so just take a spoon and scoop that off before eating.
Hope you enjoy it!
Happy low carbing,
Don’t forget to pin this to your Sugar Free, Desserts, Low Carb and Keto boards and Follow @TheKitchenMagpieLowCarb on Pinterest!
Sugar Free Lemon Curd
Ah lemon curd, God's gift to lemon lovers everywhere! Use it on toast, scones or cakes, no matter what, you need a jar of this in your fridge all the time!
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 20 minutes
- Karami Urbanoski
- sugar free lemon curd
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup Swerve
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- Beat the butter and swerve with an electric mixer for about two minutes, just like you do to make cookies.
- Slowly add the eggs then beat for one more minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.The mixture will look curdled, but it will smooth out as it cooks.
- Place the mixture in a medium sauce pan and cook over low heat until it's smooth. Increase the heat to medium and cook, continuously stirring, until the mixture thickens. The mixture should stick to the spoon slightly.
- If there are any lumps, strain through a sieve.
- Cool in the refrigerator for a few hours, it will thicken up some more in the fridge.
Note: Swerve is known to crystallize on top of liquids like this, we simply scooped it off of the top and ate it the next day.
Extra Note: Swerve does contain sugar alcohols which show up as carbohydrates in this recipe plugin but since low carb and keto diets minus sugar alcohols from the carbohydrates as they don't count for the diet, remember you can discount these.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.