This spin on the Midwestern version of the Hot Toddy contains no sugar meaning you can enjoy a nice Sugar Free Hot Toddy without worrying about breaking your diet!
How do you make a sugar free Hot Toddy?
The original version of the Hot Toddy is a bit different from this in that it uses honey as it's primary sweetener. If you are looking for the classic, grab it from the link above and swap out the honey for something like Swerve or Splenda and see how it tastes. In this version, I've decided to go a different route because I think that the Midwestern spin is better suited to a sugar free drink. This is mainly due to the use of diet Ginger Ale which has less of an obvious sugar free taste than subbing honey for a sweetener in the classic version.
What you'll need for this recipe
- Diet Ginger Ale
- Lemon juice
- Whole Cloves
- Cinnamon Stick
Making the Sugar Free Hot Toddy
Ok now that you've got the ingredients together, the easiest way to get started is to pour the diet ginger ale into a mug and microwave for about 45 seconds to 1 minute depending on your microwave to get it nice and warm.
Once you've done this, slowly add the ingredients to the mug. I say slowly because ginger ale tends to fizz up when you add to it so to avoid this, when adding bourbon and lemon juice, etc.. just do it slowly and it should be fine.
Top with a lemon slice and stick a cinnamon stick into the glass and you are done!
Mike's Tips & Tricks for the Perfect Sugar Free Hot Toddy
- You can add sweeteners to the drink (such as Swerve or Splenda) if you like but the diet ginger ale by itself is already sweet so I usually don't bother.
- Warming the ginger ale in the microwave can sometimes cause it to fizz up so do so slowly, watching it to make sure this doesn't happen.
- Fresh lemon juice is far better than the stuff in the bottle (and less harsh) so I recommend squeezing your own given the small amount required for better flavor.
- Stir the drink with the cinnamon stick to get the flavor through the drink.
- For presentation purposes use a glass mug unless you aren't concerned about presentation purposes.
I hope you enjoy!
Sugar Free Hot Toddy
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Karami Urbanoski
- 1 cup hot diet ginger ale
- 2 fluid ounces Bourbon whiskey
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 slice lemon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Pour the hot ginger ale, whisky, lemon juice and whole cloves into your mug of choice.
- Sprinkle with the nutmeg, then place the cinnamon stick in the mixture and put in the slice of lemon.
- Let the hot toddy stand for 3-5 minutes so that the flavors can meld together nicely and the drink can cool enough to drink, then enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Made this recipe?
Share a photo of what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me @thekitchenmagpie or hashtag it #thekitchenmagpie.
Please rate this recipe in the comments below to help out your fellow cooks!
Leave a Comment or Recipe Tip