The weather has started to get chilly and the leaves have started to turn here in Canada. And for me that means warm soups, stews and hearty meals. This Ham and Cabbage Soup surely fits the bill. It's a wonderfully light soup that has a great nourishing bone broth that comes from simmering the bone for 12 hours. This is a deceptively easy recipe as you just leave the ham bone to simmer in a crock pot first thing in the morning, and in the evening you chop up the cabbage, carrots, onion, celery and your spices. Throw the vegetables in and simmer for another 45-60 minutes and your soup is done!
Soups are one of my favourite go-to comfort foods and I enjoy packing them around in thermos's everywhere I go. They are also one of my top meal prep choices as they freeze so well and stay fresh for quite awhile. I like soups as they are a very versatile food as you can add or remove what you want, and i can get picky sometimes. If you want less carbs, only add 1/2 cup of onion or carrots. I like the colour of the carrots and celery and it feels like a treat to have a few more vegetables thrown in there. I definitely will be sharing more of my favourite soup recipes to warm you up on those cool fall evenings to come!
Happy Low Carbing!
Don’t forget to add these to your Healthy Eating, Low Carb Boards on Pinterest and follow @TheKitchenMagpieLowCarb as well!
Ham and Cabbage Soup
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- Total Time
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- Main Course
- Karami Urbanoski
- 1 Ham Bone
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups diced ham, (meat from bone)
- 1 cup carrots sliced about 1/8 in thick
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup Diced Onions
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp green onions for garnish.
- 6 cups sliced cabbage (1 inch squares)
- Put ham bone in instant pot and slow cook for 12 hours to make a flavourful broth.
- Remove the bone and strain the liquid through a fine strainer. There will be a bit of sediment at the bottom of the pot to dump out. Put the broth back into the instant pot or slow cooker once complete.
- Chop up your vegetables and add them all to the broth except the cabbage. Let slow cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and let slow cook for another 40 minutes.
- Add salt to taste. My ham was salty enough and the bone gave out so much flavour I dint need any salt.
- Note: My cabbage was very thin this time of year and cooked very quickly. If you like the cabbage firmer then take 10 minutes off the cooking time. If you have thicker cabbage pieces it may take an extra 10 minutes to soften up.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.