If you like hot sauce, you’ll love this recipe. The best part is that you get the flavour without overpowering the chicken with too much heat and the end result is amazing! These Crispy Buttery Buffalo Baked Chicken Thighs are a great low carb dinner idea.
How to Make Crispy Buttery Buffalo Baked Chicken Thighs
What You’ll Need
- Chicken Thighs (skin on)
- Buffalo Hot Sauce
- Canola Oil
- Salted Butter
- Salt & Pepper
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Now you’ll want an oven safe skillet like a cast iron pan ready and on the stove. Add the oil to the pan and heat it on stove. Once heated, place the chicken skin side down in the oil and fry until you get a brown, crispy skin. Now flip them over and fry the other side for about 5 minutes.
Take the skillet off the stove and place it in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the thighs reach a safe temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
While they are in the oven, mix the melted butter and hot sauce in a bowl. Once the thighs have reached 165 °F, open the oven and pour the buttery hot sauce mixture over them.
Continue to cook the thighs, basting as needed, until they reach 185 °F, and then remove them from the oven at this point and serve!
Mike’s Tips & Tricks for the Best Buffalo Baked Chicken Thighs
- Chicken thighs are the best cut of chicken to use when you are baking chicken in the oven. Chicken thighs can handle a little bit of overcooking, indeed, you have to cook them to around the 185 °F mark in order to have the best meat texture.
- Chicken thighs don’t dry out like chicken breasts do. Chicken breasts are my nemesis and can dry out at the drop of a hat. Chicken thighs are more forgiving, if you cook them to even 200 or more they are still great!
- It’s always best to buy them in large packs and break them up into large ziploc bags and freeze. If you think your family will eat 8 (our family of four will) then freeze them in sets of 8.
I hope you love this simple recipe as much as we do!
Happy low carbing,
Crispy Buttery Buffalo Baked Chicken Thighs
Baked Chicken Thighs
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- salt and pepper
Buttery Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- In a large, oven safe skillet, heat the canola oil. Prep the chicken thighs by removing any extra fat/skin, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Once the oil is heated, place the chicken thighs SKIN SIDE DOWN and proceed to fry until the skin is brown and crispy. Flip, then fry the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken thighs in the oven ( still in the skillet) and cook for another 25-30 minutes, until they reach a temperature of 165 °F.
- Mix together the hot sauce and butter and pour over the chicken thighs in the pan. Cook for another 10 minutes, then baste with the sauce. Cook, basting as needed, until the chicken thighs reach a temperature of 185 °F.
- Remover and serve with sauce drizzled on top.