One of the easiest two ingredient recipes for those who prefer low carb or keto foods are Bacon Wrapped Asparagus bundles. Either on the barbecue or in the oven, they are a quick and easy treat!
Preparing Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles
Bacon wrapped asparagus is a great side dish whether you've chosen to eat low carb or not. For those on a keto diet, however, they are a delicacy that is simple to prepare. You can make these in two different ways; via the oven which is usually the easiest or on the barbecue if desired. If you do the barbecue method, I recommend coating the asparagus in olive oil first as it adds a little extra flavour and prevents them from drying out.
I like to cook my asparagus until the ends are crispy and crunchy but the choice is up to you as to what you prefer. Just make sure that if low carb is your main goal with this recipe that you read the bacon packages, there can be hidden sugars and carbs in some bacon!
How Do You Trim Asparagus Spears?
It is incredible easy to trim asparagus spears, simply take the stalk and with a hand on each end and bend it. The stalk will snap in the location where the tender part meets the woody, tough part, leaving you with perfectly tender asparagus every time. You can do this with a few asparagus at a time, each one will break in a different spot, it's pretty cool to see!
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Video
In this video, we show another method which includes covering your bundles with brown sugar sauce. Obviously, for the low carb / keto diet, exclude this part of the recipe.
Mike's Tips for Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- When cooking in the oven, cook the bacon wrapped asparagus at 400 °F to ensure that you are going to get crispy bacon!
- If you want, you can coat the bacon in Parmesan cheese and it's still Keto and low carb!
- Get fresh, healthy looking asparagus. Check the tips to see if they are firm as this is where they start to rot first!
- If you do the barbecue method, I recommend coating the asparagus in olive oil first as it adds a little extra flavour and prevents them from drying out.
Happy low carbing!
Pin This Recipe to Your Low Carb Recipes Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST
Keto Friendly Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Karami Urbanoski
- 32 spears asparagus or 4 per bundle however many you want
- 8 slices of bacon one per bundle
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 °F.
- Take 4 spears of asparagus and wrap one piece of bacon around it, tucking the ends in under the bundle when you lay it on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until you have all 8 bundles placed on a baking sheet. If you are NOT making the sauce, skip to the step where you bake them in the oven. If not, continue on with the instructions.
- Bake the in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the bacon reaches your desired doneness.
- Remove and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.